Not sure what to do after a car accident? The team at Mizzoni’s Auto Body is here to assist with everything from 24-hour tow assistance to a complete checklist of what to do after you are involved in an auto collision
At the scene of the crash:
If you’ve been in a car accident, take a deep breath and be sure to follow the action items below.
- Make sure nobody was hurt. If there are injuries, call an ambulance.
- Take photos of the accident.
- If possible, clear the road after you’ve taken photos to prevent another accident.
- Exchange contact and insurance information. Don’t let the other party photograph your ID for safety reasons.
- Phone numbers
- Email addresses
- Insurance name and policy number
- Contact the police.
- Collect witness contact information.
Towing your car:
If your car is still operable after the accident and you are able to drive away, you can deal with repairs later.
If it’s not, you might need a tow. If you’re not sure what repair shop you’re going to, you can have it towed nearby or to your home until you’re ready to have it fixed. If you are coming to Mizzoni’s Auto Body call us at 973.777.7115 and we will make arrangements for your vehicle to be towed to our shop.
Remember that you don’t have to use the repair shop that your insurance company suggests! You have the right to choose your own repair shop – the right fit for you!
Obtain a collision repair estimate
A repair estimate will give you an approximate cost for the repairs to your vehicle. You can get as many estimates as you want from various repair shops and your insurance company may do their own estimate too. Be sure to have a certified technician evaluate your vehicle for hidden damage as well.
Ask questions about the repair process
- How long will the repair take?
- Would you recommend OEM parts, aftermarket parts, or recycled parts?
- Have you repaired cars like mine or preformed repairs like these before?
- What qualifications/certificates do you have?
- Do you offer a warranty on all workmanship performed?
Your auto repair
Once you’ve selected a repair shop, your insurance company has agreed to cover the cost of repairs according to your policy, and you’ve scheduled an appointment, just drive or tow your car to the shop of your choosing.
You should get an estimate that lists the necessary repairs. If there are any changes to this list as repairs get going, your shop should let you know ASAP. Often times there may be hidden damage that can be discovered throughout the collision repair process.
No one enjoys being involved in an accident, after all, it can be a stressful time. Let our team of skilled auto collision representatives and certified technicians put you at ease by providing you with the tools and information you need. Call 973.777.7115 to speak to a member of our team Monday-Friday 8am to 5pm or Saturday 8am-12pm.